BizTalk CAT Instrumentation Framework Download

May 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM
The link to download the CAT instrumentation Framework is broken. Where can I download the framework? Is it still a best practice to use the framework or has something better emerged?
Coordinator
May 22, 2014 at 2:26 AM
It appears that Microsoft just retired the Code website without migrating the vast majority of the artifacts. Please drop an email to ArchiveInfo@microsoft.com and ask them to bring back the AppFabric CAT sample code.

Note that the CAT Instrumentation Framework builds on some BizTalk libraries that build on ETW, which is part of Windows. In .NET 4.5 and on NuGet, Microsoft now offers framework code that makes it very easy to publish events to ETW. You could still get the benefits of ETW by bypassing the CAT framework and using those classes instead.

Thanks,
Tom
May 22, 2014 at 3:23 AM
Thank you that was helpful.
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM
I got a response from ArchiveInfo@microsoft.com, and they said "sorry, it's gone." Very hard to believe that they really just eliminated all of this code, but it seems to be true. They said if the original author was a Microsoft employee they could ask them to post it somewhere else.

If anyone can find an original ZIP from the site, I will just post it here on the Download page.

Thanks,
Tom
Jun 24, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Thank you Tom

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Edited Nov 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Surprised nobody has answered this .. anyways, I raised this question on the forums and John (boat seller) gave me the new link (I suppose).
AppFabricCat.
At the end of the page, you can find the link to the source code

Thomas : Two requests to you...
  1. All the search requests for the instrumentation would show your link first. Can you incorporate the instrumentation link(above) on your home page.
  2. I have posted looking for a comparison here. However, nobody pointed out for this new NuGet alternative suggested above. Can you please thrown more light.
Btw, thank you for the controller.. a real life saver.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2014 at 5:17 AM
Lucky ... even though Microsoft has shut down that website, the direct download link still works! Thanks! I downloaded it and posted it here for permanent storage, and referenced on the home page.

The CAT I.F. builds upon BizTalk's internal tracing library, which is in turn built upon ETW (part of Windows). ETW is great for very (very) high speed event tracing, but the size of an ETW message is limited to somewhere under 64K. If you've ever tried to trace large message bodies through the I.F., you've seen that limitation.

Microsoft's NuGet package provides a simple way to create strongly typed ETW messages. EF 6 calls it Semantic Logging. The main "extra" you get from EF 6 is a Windows service that can capture the ETW messages and write them to a persistent data store (out-of-process logging), and an in-process log capture library which doesn't seem terribly useful to me. The strongly typed messages can be nice if you want to do specific analysis later, but if you just want to dump a string then there isn't any real benefit -- and then you might as well use the CAT I.F.

Either approach has the message size limit.

Thanks,
Tom